According to Black’s Law Dictionary, armed robbery means “the taking of property from a person or in the presence of another by the use of force or by threating the use of force while armed with a dangerous weapon.”
Security’s role regarding armed robbery is one of prevention. The ability to prevent armed robbery stems from awareness of possible places, times, and reasons an armed robbery might occur and taken reasonable actions to forestall armed robbery.
Most of the reasons for armed robberies are for money or valuable items. The times may vary, but generally armed robberies occur when staff levels are small or unsuspecting. Places that are most prone to armed robberies are mid to high crime areas, but no place is immune.
Generally armed robberies are planned before they are executed. The robbers will case the target and look for signs of weakness or opportunities, such as counting large sums of cash in the open, no security on duty, lack of cameras, etc.
The best security measures are:
1) Armed security officers.
2) Adequate lighting.
4) Good community and police relations.
5) Reduce amount of cash or valuable in the open.
6) Use of drop safes.
7) Security escorts for bank runs.
8) Use of electronic transactions
9) Counting money in a secure location
Not all armed robberies are prevented. If an armed robbery occurs, then follow this procedure:
1) Do not resist an armed robber.
2) Stay calm.
3) Warn the robber of any unintended surprises such as someone coming from the back. This protects people, because the robber may shoot if caught off guard.
4) Remember the details and description of the person committing the robbery.
5) Call 911 after the robbery. Report last known direction of escape and type of travel as well as description of suspect.
6) Report in an incident report.Contact client and security supervisor.