Training is of supreme importance to security officers. All officers must receive training in the fundamentals of security before they conduct security on a post. Beyond the basics, these factors are used to determine additional training requirements:
1) Experience of trainee
2) Trainee’s grasp of the fundamentals
3) Type of procedures the trainee needs to know to perform effectively
4) Amount of specific post related procedures and information the trainee needs to know to perform effectively
5) Necessity of knowing a procedure before an incident occurs
6) Time specific knowledge needed to perform effectively
In general, officers who grasp and perform the fundamentals effectively can be given advanced training and increased responsibilities. Officers that grasp the fundamentals but do not perform effectively on a consistent basis must be reinstructed in the fundamentals before they can be given advanced training or increased responsibilities. Officers who continue to exhibit poor execution of the fundamentals must be drilled regularly. Officers who cannot grasp all the fundamentals must be dismissed.